Saturday, November 7, 2009

Innocence?


Mood: hohum
Now Playing: kimi no shiranai monogatari


So i've downloaded this 1994 movie, Leon: The Professional, and i was screaming expletives from the moment i saw Natalie Portman stepping into the shoes of Mathilda - sort of a child waif brimming with a thirst for revenge.

In a nutshell, the story goes off like this: Professional assassin Leon reluctantly takes care of 12-year-old Mathilda, a neighbor whose parents are killed, and teaches her his trade. If that wasn't compelling enough for you to scrounge the internet or your favorite quiapo establishment or your favorite - haha, what the hell - video store, well, this conversation floored me:

Mathilda: Leon, I think I'm kinda falling in love with you.
[Leon chokes on his milk]
Mathilda: It's the first time for me, you know?
Léon: [wiping himself off] How do you know it's love if you've never been in love before?
Mathilda: 'Cause I feel it.
Léon: Where?
Mathilda: [stroking her stomach] In my stomach. It's all warm. I always had a knot there and now... it's gone.
Léon: Mathilda, I'm glad you don't have a stomach ache any more. I don't think it means anything.


ohgahd. and Leon's fucking line as he lowers Mathilda down the shaft got to me, too.

Léon: You're not going to lose me. You've given me a taste for life. I wanna be happy. Sleep in a bed, have roots. And you'll never be alone again, Mathilda. Please, go now, baby, go. Calm down, go now, go.


Pretty fucking amazing, if you ask me. Probably what makes it that way is how much a kid could have such an effect on a full grown assasin, who drinks MILK and watches movies in his free time. It's astonishing, really, when you see how Leon grows in the movie, little by little.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reminded of a time when i was young, and my parents would go out to the Alabang Town Center. Since we live in Paranaque, it was a good and long trip on the van dad made with his own fucking hands. And yes, you read that right.

So anyway, ATC. For a twelve year old kid, being in a mall other than SM (and with a glorious fountain to boot, waao) blew my mind away. I remember stumbling into a powerbooks and grabbing a copy of.. damnit, i forgot the title. It was either a dan brown or a gardner, don't know which is which, so.. asjdakdjals. The lady at the counter bagged the book for me, and it was all so delicious and warm and smelled like coffee on an amazing morning. The brown paper bag was deliciosly very crisp and very fresh and very very smooth - you could feel it over and over and it would still the same way each and every time you did so. And i remember imagining, as i stepped outside, that i was in one of the cafes overlooking the fountain at the center, with the book and it's deliciously brown bag lying on the table. I remember sipping from a mug as i looked down the other passers-by, as the sound of shoppers and the morning scenery assaulted my senses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also this one time, when i was still in elementary (and therefore could still stomach my now irrational fear of going out of the house), and was inspired, by some cosmic turn of events, to take a walk down the neighborhood one afternoon. * obligatory WHY SO CONYOOO~?! line here*

Nothing out of the ordinary happened, though the winds were spectacularly strong that day, and the leaves were doing this kind of slow dance with it. The neighborhood was as peaceful as ever, as kids my age seemed like they had outgrown going out and i was left with the ones that were years younger, the ones that still wore their school sando and shorts in their haste to go out and play.

I went home just as the day's dinner, chicken adobo, was being scooped into bowls. Rice was lumped in together with the leftover chicken oil, spices and whatnot in the pan to make adobong fried rice. A feast.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, i've watched All About Steve yesterday in *snickers* tagaytay, and it was great. The movie itself reeked of chick flick-ness, but the lines they delivered were pretty cool and had sense and meaning and logic and had potential sentimentality. Cute movie, if i must say. The fact that she *spoilerspoiler* made a crossword puzzle all about steve (questions included were 1) what's steve's eye color; 2) what does steve's lips taste like) on the local newspaper was equally hilarious and uh.. t-touching? aghhk. xD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yellowcard's on the playlist, and now i want to check out some of my old stuff.

No comments: